talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 10:46 AM

Default New Makita router RP2301 and Guide rail adapter.

Hi from New Zealand.

Has anyone used the new Makita 2301 router - Apparently it has an adapter for guide rails that may fit the festool rail.

I am currently looking for a new router - I nearly bought a OF2200 but Festool here were too busy stock taking to send one for me to look at.

I have some real concerns about Festool support here so I am starting to cast my eye a little wider as much as I love the Festool tools.

I basically make my purchases only after reading stuff here now as I can't get any festool advice locally. So I would be keen to get your feedback. I know the festool routers are good although I have seen some negative comments on the OF 1400.

Basically I have an OF 1010, MFT3, domino etc and I have been after a good 1/2 inch router to use with the MFT3 and my woodrat. Currently I move my Makita 3612 from my under my router table too my woodrat and then to any hand held routing. I really wanted to leverage my investmet in festool system and if the Makita can use the rails ( and is a good router) then it might be a good compromise. The Makita router has only just been released here in NZ.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Chris
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:19 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: New Makita router RP2301 and Guide rail adapter.

At 2100 watts and half the price the Makita is worth consideration for sure.

Can't find a picture of the guide rail adapter but it sells for around $50 US.

Did find this picture here. The same place has the guide rail adapter for $45.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-03-2010, 04:57 AM

Hello!

I've had an old Makita 3612c router under my router table for years, it's had loads of heavy use, and has NEVER missed a beat. They are good powerful routers for sure.

when I spoke to a Makita rep here at the Fukuoka branch a couple of years ago, He told me they have never had one in for repairs at their branch. Very reliable machines.

Cheers!
Okami
Old 02-04-2010, 12:19 AM

Hi,

I am thinking that if the Makita saw will fit the Festool rail, then the Makita router adapter wil fit the Festool rail............... Rick?

Seth
Old 02-04-2010, 02:43 AM

Thanks Guys,

I have put the question to makita here but they haven't got back to me yet.

I had a look at the local power tool shop here and the Makita router looks pretty good. So if it fits the rails then it will probably be the one I go for.

I will have one last look at the OF1400 though. - Its hard to go away from festool.

regards

Chris
Old 02-04-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmortz View Post
Thanks Guys,

I have put the question to makita here but they haven't got back to me yet.

I had a look at the local power tool shop here and the Makita router looks pretty good. So if it fits the rails then it will probably be the one I go for.

I will have one last look at the OF1400 though. - Its hard to go away from festool.

regards

Chris
I have the OF1400 and I like it a lot. But if you were thinking of the 2200 , will the 1400 be powerful enough for your use?

Seth
Old 06-29-2010, 12:20 PM

Just after writing my post I had to go away for work. Finally back and just bought the makita router RP2301 with guide rail adapter. I am very impressed with the overall quality and function. The guide doesn't have a fine adjuster but apart from that it works fine. The guide also works on the 3612 and the little makita 1/4 inch router. Could be a useful addition as I know alot of people have those routers.

I had a brief look at the OF1400 and OF2200 in a shop while I was away. As suggested The OF 1400 was a little underpowered. The OF2200 was fantastic just too expensive - 3 times the price of the Makita.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:32 AM

hello ... would you reiterate ... did your newly purchased Makita Router (RP2303, i believe) ... fit into the Festool Guiding Rails?

The MFT3 and Guiding Rail Setup is versatile and works. It would be fantastic if the Makita Router RP2300 or RP2303 could be used wthe Festool's Guiding Rails. I couldn't read a clear answer to this - yet :-) - in this thread, which is why i am asking.

I have spoken with Festool in Germany and the OF1400 has the hand grip that sticks to be able to use it with one hand ... for repeated runs type of tasks ... i never use the router with one hand ... which makes this facility really unnecessary... and given makita router's good reviews ... if i could switch from the OF1400 ...i would.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:13 AM

Yep it works fine I have the MFT 3 and use the makita with the guide rail a lot.

The only real down side is not having a fine adjuster.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:02 PM

Would you be able to post a picture of your setup?

Or answer the below for precision...

Does the Makita Edge Guide glide -- exactly -- in the grooves of the festool rails, as the adjustable Edge Guide for the festool Of1400 does?

What is it you mean concerning the adjuster? ... does the Makita Edge Guide lack or doesnt have an adjuster like the one equiped with the Festool Edge Guide?

Also what is your setup here for the Makita Router from the perspective of dust extraction? Do you use an adapter to the makita dust nozzle so it fits the Festool dust extraction vacuum tube? Please confirm. Do you have a link or picture showing this setup?

Thanks & Thanks too, to your previous answer, which comes even though i am joining this thread sometime after it has been started.

Paul

Last edited by schwartzberg; 10-03-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Tags
guide rail, makita, of1400, of2200