talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Hand-Cut Cabinet Maker's Rasps by Auriou

That's it Ron a good rasp. The coarse side cuts quickly compared to my #49, and the fine side leaves a better finish. The only drawback is both sides are flat, so You need another (#49 or Auriou) to do curved work.
The Auriou rasps sound much nicer than Nicholson. They would be nice for making Maloof chairs, with the rasp going to a point and teeth out to the edge.
By the way, the #49 and #50 are now made in Brazil...gone are the days of made in USA
The chair I'm working on, is another Maloof chair. I've been lucky enough to have the chance to make another. I've made a few slight changes from the first two I made last year.
Cheers!
okami:tigersmile:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky977 View Post
Ron, thanks for asking about rasps, and Fred, thanks for your answers! I do have a couple more clarifying questions. I have multiple projects I want to undertake that I will need to buy rasps for. I have an idea for a Sam Maloof inspired chair which will need lots of sculpting. I have a T-square type of tool that will be used for quickly figuring board foot amounts, which I will be sculpting also. And another project that is still in incubater stage, not ready to be revealed.

If I get the Nicholson #49 and #50 to get me started, which one Auriou should I also get?
Sparky,

I apologize for the delay in answering. I hope that I am not too late for you but Auriou has a beautiful 10" #9 Chairmaker's Rasp. I think this might be perfect for what you are speaking about. One last thing and I know that Okami and I differ on this but I prefer having both the Nicholson #49 and #50. The #50 is just a little smoother and cleans up the #49 quite nicely. I would also suggest you might want to look at the Lie-Nielsen Cabinetmaker's floats. If you run rasp, file, float you will be very pleased. Oh, and I too like the Shinto Rasp, I just would not give up the #50.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-06-2009, 08:27 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Another rasp option.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:42 PM

Found it here

This piece On The History and Manufacture Of Rasps is interesting too.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Nice, Michael - thanks for that info. I'm gonna have to get me some of those dragon-cut rasps. They look really useful for this task (chair making). I didn't check - do they sell handles for them?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 PM

No they don't. Make a stick with a hole in it? I think you can handle that.
Seriously, although the tang looks thicker than usual at the small end
it will probably fit in an ordinary file handle. You can get handles specifically
for rasps which are usually bigger all around. Farriers have really stout rasp handles.

I like the Skroo-zon on style.

Last edited by MichaelKellough; 08-06-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Michael,

Those two rasps are they Dragon or Auriou? I have two Auriou that look exactly like that even down to the darkened handles. Thank you very much for the tip on the Dragons. I had never heard of them but the link you sent showed some pretty cool stuff on them.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 08-07-2009, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
Michael,

Those two rasps are they Dragon or Auriou? I have two Auriou that look exactly like that even down to the darkened handles.
Thank you very much for the tip on the Dragons. I had never heard of them but the link you sent showed some pretty cool stuff on them.

Fred
Uh oh, here we go again... They're Dragons, and probably made in China, based on the name and the price. At least in this case Auriou had abandoned the market.

Oops, I might have misunderstood you Fred. I think the rasps in the guitar shaping photo are genuine Auriou rasps, not Dragon. I don't think Dragon has a rasp with curved tip.

Last edited by MichaelKellough; 08-07-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:49 AM

I like that curved tip rasp:sdrool:
I can't find Auriou anywhere here (Japan)
Mr Fred, where did You buy Your Auriou's from?
Cheers!
Okami:tigersmile:
Old 08-07-2009, 03:53 AM

Get 'em here.