talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tips and Techniques

Festool Tips and Techniques Tips on using your Festools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Best sander for table top?

Thank you very much for the specific answer - I will stay with what I have.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-10-2009, 03:57 PM

Well I believe you made your decision but I'll add a few more comments about the RS2E for those interested. The RS2E with it's large surface excels at flattening but as Seth mentioned there is a learning curve. For the most part we are used to random orbit sanders so we assume the same techniques carry over to orbital sanders and this is where you can get into trouble. With RO sanders pretty much anyone can get decent results without much effort and poor sanding technique, this isn't true with orbital sanders like the RS2E.

There two things that go a long way to improving results with a orbital sander. First is always keep the sander moving at a moderate to fast pace with the grain. Compared to using a RO sander that allows you to move fairly slow across the work the orbital needs to be move somewhat quickly to stretch out or elongate it's scratch patterns. When the orbital sander is allowed to pause or move slowly the scratch pattern is in the shape of small circles, swirl marks.

The second tip is to keep the work surface clean, free of dislodged abrasive/grit particles. Grit particles can get trapped under the sanding pad and causing deep scratches, swirl marks. Wiping or vacuuming your work surface between grits is good practice with any sander but it's really important with orbital sanders. This especially true with the RS2E because it has a sanding surface two, three or more time than that of Festool's other orbitals. Its large surface can capture/hold more of these particles. If you're getting swirls marks with any sander try periodically clean your work surface as well as between grits.

Keeping these two things in mind should help produce better results with the RS2E and orbital sanders in general.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:01 PM

Thanks Brice, very good tips.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-11-2009, 09:19 AM

I love the RS2 sander. If the glue up is good I will start with the RS2 with 100,120,180,220. Then go to the 150/3 with 220,320. Spray with water/DNA in a 50/50 mix then back to 320 with the 150/3. If I need some help removing stock or tear out I start with the rotex with 80, 120 then RS2 with 120-the rest is the same.

The RS2 is great at keeping the surface flat. If you want it really flat an aluminum bar is great for finding high spots. Hold it on edge across the piece and rub it back and forth. the aluminum will leave a grey mark on the high spots. or go buy a wide belt sander.

Brice's tips are great.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:21 PM

very interesting points, thanks for taking the time.
S.